Monday, January 27, 2014

New sector, new companion, new adventure!

Well, I think that's the cheesiest title I've given to any of my letters so far...I've officially been doing this for a while. In fact, I think this is about my 24th or 25th time emailing home, if you can believe that! I'll be hitting my 6 month mark next Friday. That's pretty crazy too. This mission thing is going by super fast. 

So, I'm officially in Calais, finally. It was a long ride getting here, in more ways than one. First off, we took about an hour long TGV ride up to Lille, where our Zone Leaders are at. The TGV goes over 200 miles an hour, so it that's why it was so quick. But, due to low funds, I ended up staying the night there. Kind of crazy, doing an exchange my first day of the new transfer, but it happened. I was with Elder Oliverson, one of the ZLs. 

Arc de Triomphe
View from the top of the Arc

So, before I get too far into the week, P-day happened. It was just kind of a relaxed P-day, where we ended up on top of the Arc de Triomphe to end my time in Paris. It was just beautiful, getting up there right as the sun was setting. I got some sweet pictures and one final look at Paris before leaving.
Adam's Last Day in Paris
View from the Top of the Arc de Triomphe




I got to see Olivier one last time on Tuesday. We teach him in English, and the weirdest thing happened. In the middle of the lesson, I accidentally started speaking French! I went on that way for like, 30 seconds before catching myself. It was crazy.

Elder Bigler and Elder Perez
So, once I finally got here, we had a pretty good first week, I'd say. In fact, we set up two baptismal dates this week! That's pretty awesome. :) Elder Perez is pretty cool so far, he's goona be tons of fun to work with. I talk about him more in the letter I'm writing. I'm excited for the transfer though. :) We're in a 4 man, with the other Calais équipe (team/companionship) that just opened up. So they're white washing basically. Best thing about the apartment is the room we have. We have our two desks in there and our bunk beds and something I've almost never seen here in France: carpet! It's kind of old and dirty, but it's just so nice to have. It's such a cozy and home-y room. I feel more at home in that room than I have in a while. 




Oh, quick side note: Apparently an Elder Bigler served here forever ago, in 1969-70 ish, named Jeff. Anybody we know? (After a little family history research, we found out this is Adam's Dad's Cousin Jeff who served in Calais around that time as part of the Franco-Belgium Mission. Thanks Cousin Dean Bigler for the information. Small Mormon World. We're not sure how Adam came across that information so quickly in his new city.)

Anyway, that's about it for this week. It's gonna take some getting used to, but I like it so far. I'll be sending some pictures on dropbox too, and more next week. I love you guys! Sorry the letter was kind of disorganized this week, I hope it's okay! Be good!

Elder Adam Bigler


Batman Watches Over Paris
Adam Ate Pizza Made by Italians for
His Last Night in Paris, France








No comments:

Post a Comment